Welcome to the Infertility Guide – Your Comprehensive Guide to Fertility Resources
This is a place for individuals seeking information about infertility and related topics. Regardless of whether you or your parter are seeking treatment or exploring your options, or you want to support a loved one who is experiencing difficulty in this area, you will find plenty of articles about monitoring tools, charting, fertility foods and herbs, religious and spiritual resources and much more.
So, what does it mean, how common is it and what are the typical causes?
Infertility is commonly defined as the inability to achieve a pregnancy within 12 months of unprotected intercourse for couples where the woman is under 35 years of age and 6 months if the woman is 35 years or older.
If you and/or your partner have been diagnosed with this condition, you are not alone as it is an extraordinarily common condition that is reported to affect approximately 6 million women and their partners in the United States.
With respect to the typical causes of this condition, you may be surprised to learn that statistics show that:
*40 percent is due to a male factor (e.g., impaired production, function or delivery of sperm or lifestyle and/or environmental issues);
*40 percent is due to a female factor (e.g., fallopian tube damage or obstruction, endometriosis, ovulation and/or hormonal disorders, etc.); and
*20 percent is due to male and female factors - in some cases, there is no explanation as to why a couple is not able to conceive naturally.
While it is believed that the rate of occurrence has remained relatively stable over the years, there is an increase in the utilization of fertility services, which is due to greater availability of such services as well as the trend towards delayed childbearing while women advance their education or focus on their careers. Increased utilization of treatment is due, in part, to the fact that the negative stigma associated with this condition has lessened in recent years. The willingness of certain celebrities such as Bill and Guiliana Rancic and Kylie Minogue to openly share their experiences with the public has assisted in reducing negative connotations associated with seeking treatment.
Over the course of our journey, my husband and I spent a significant amount of time reading about infertility and related topics (e.g., male infertility, IUI, IVF, adoption, etc). Much of the information that we found was not comprehensive and scattered across multiple sources, which was frustrating and delayed our pursuit of treatment and exploration of alternative options. As such, we have compiled everything that we have found here so that you do not experience the same frustration and delays.
We hope you find our website to be helpful, and we wish the best on your journey!
- Get the Latest News at Infertility Guide!
- Keep apprized of new articles and special postings about infertility and related issues by subscribing to our news feed. Click on the orange RSS button and sign up (no email required).
- Male Infertility Treatments in Azoospermia
- The diagnosis of azoospermia can be devastating. Learn more about infertility in males and the male infertility treatments that are available to you . . .
- Fertility Chart Basics to Increase Fertility
- Keeping track of your menstrual cycle can be daunting. For your fertility chart, here are some simple tips . . .
- Fertility Diet: How Does What You Eat Help You Get Pregnant?
- There is no “magic bullet” fertility diet food that will “cure” infertility. With that said, there are a number of ways in which you can enhance your fertility . . .
- Infertility Drugs - Commonly Prescribed Medications for Fertility Treatment
- Your doctor may prescribe infertility drugs if you have been diagnosed with infertility to increase your chances of getting pregnant. There are a variety of medications available, which include . . .
- Secondary Infertility - Frequently Asked Questions
- Secondary infertility is a frustrating and puzzling condition. After all, you’ve conceived and given birth before, so what’s the problem?This article will give you the answers you need . . .
- 9 Top Male Infertility Treatment Plans
- If you’re a man battling fertility problems you might be confused about which male infertility treatment is right for you. Here’s an overview of 9 of the top infertility treatments for men . . .